Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Scotty Speaks

A lot.  Scotty never stops talking actually.  We say that he narrates his whole life, much like another toddler I once had.  It is often an interesting insight into the workings of a two year old mind, and more often hilarious.  Today he said a couple things that just made me laugh.  He is 2 and 3/4 years old.

The first was on our way out of Little Gym - which he calls "Bubble Gym" because it ends with bubbles, his favorite part.  Another little boy was following him down the stairs to the parking lot.  He said, "Oh no, here comes another boy, he's going to catch us!"  I told him it was OK, he didn't need to hurry - the steps were a bit icy and treacherous and of course he insisted on walking down them unassisted.  Then when we got to the end of the steps I picked him up before walking into the parking lot.  He asked the little boy's name.  I told him it was the same name as one of his brother's.  I said that he could say, "Bye Jacob!"  to his friend.  At home he ALWAYS calls Jacob: "Gacob" and always has.  But when he waved to the little boy he called out, "Bye Jacob!"  He looked at me with a twinkle in his eye knowing what he had just done - I looked at him in shock and asked, "Did you just SAY Jacob?" (with a "J").  He answered, "Yep." And then proceeded to say it many times as if it was what he always said.  I had him tell everyone at dinner the name of the boy in his class.  He again said, "Jacob".  THEN, when he pointed to his brother he said "Gacob" once again!  We were all relieved.  Scotty laughed and laughed -loving his joke.

Today when we were in the pick-up line at Michael's school he says to me,"So, well, what ARE we waiting for anyway?"  I turned around and answered my BIG kid, "Michael".  "Oh.  Michael?"  And then he just laughed and laughed loving that he used his sentence the right way - as if he had been planning it and waiting for the perfect moment.  I was just cracking up.


Other Scottyisms that are repeated EVERY day:
  • "I really really really REALLY REALLY want it.  Pleeaaaaasssssssse."  And then he puts his hands in front of him together like he is begging.
  • "Take a look"  when he makes something he is proud of and wants you to come see it.
  • "I am really really REALLY ANGRY at __________ !!"  or "I am so so so so mad at YOU!!"  Then he deliberately folds his arms one arm at a time and then stomps his left foot.
  • "It make me happy!  See???"  When he was crying and then gets something that makes him happy.  He then does this goofy fake smile to show you that he is now very happy.
  • These days he finds numbers everywhere, like the date embroidered on his blanket, the numbers on the clock at Little Gym, etc. and likes to say and point to each number.  He can now recognize all of them up to 10.
   


No comments: