Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Potions

Magical potions were what I needed today - I certainly tried.  We were having the Manwarings over for dinner tonight and I made ice cream snowballs for dessert.  I thought it would be fun to make homemade hot fudge and caramel sauce.  I found the recipes on Smittenkitchen - and her self described "mindblowing butterscotch sauce" must now become a Christmas tradition it is so fabulous.  Michael walked into the kitchen smiling and said, "I LOVE the way Christmas smells!"  It would make an excellent neighbor gift.  J joined me to watch the caramel sauce on the stove boil ferociously.  Of course he was the first to taste it - and pretended to faint in pleasure.  But waiting until dessert after dinner to eat the rest was again...too much.  
Our fun project of the day was real mixing and experimenting.  We made pipe-cleaner snowflakes.  They are suspended in a mixture of Borax, food coloring and hot water.  Hopefully if all works well,tomorrow they will be crystalized.  I was planning on reading a book all about snowflake shapes - that they all have 6 points, etc.  But once again, it was very fun during the project and then it just fell apart!  Ahhh!  I think we all ended up in tears (not my proudest moment).  J walked himself to timeout in the guest room.  

When he came out I found him in the toy room cleaning up.  He said, "I am going to do a chore mom, to prove to you that I really do actually love you!"  He had a big smile on his face and came running to me for a hug.  We sat on the couch together and did finally read that book.
I eventually resorted to Christmas movie time.  We have turned off regular TV for the two weeks of vacation for everyone in the family - just movies.  It is really a great experience for us - at least eliminating ONE fight in the house (movies begin and end, they already know what we have, no commercials with exciting toys to want, and lots more music being listened to upstairs).  ...then bowling with school friends, and raced home to have dinner with the Manwarings.  One more day!

No comments: