Sunday, December 20, 2009

Little Jewish Angel

A little bit of catching up...On Friday Michael was a little singing Jewish angel in the 1st grader school choir.  He prefers not to be called such, but really they did all look like angels with blue and silver halos.  They sang "How Many Candles" and "Jingle Bells" with all the verses to BOTH (which is a lot for those who know the candle song).  They were all darling - and I do mean all.  I have had the dear pleasure of getting to know all the children in his class these past few months at Monday reading rotations.  

He would rather remember this week as one dedicated to beading and embroidery.  The homemade Christmas spirit is alive and well!  WAHOO! This is his latest project obsession (do we know anyone else in this family that gets obsessed with projects? hmmmm...).
 While my little angel sewed (and alternately terrorized his brothers), I cooked for the afternoon and I set a beautiful Christmas table for a group of old friends (I call them the old playgroup moms) that came for a French Christmas dinner.  These plates say Christmas - my mom had a whole set when we were growing up.  They remind me of Christmas as a child and of my mother who loves dishes!  We eat on these plates every night for the whole month of December - but seeing them on a beautiful table made me smile.  
We ate a French Pork, Fennel, and Leek Stew with plenty of baguettes; followed by a classic salad of Butter Lettuce, herbs and the house vinaigrette from Bouchon; a cheese course brought by a friend of mine; and finished it off with a Poached Pear and Almond tart with French Hot Chocolate - served my favorite way.  I pass around a huge bowl (in lovely ironstone of course) of the chocolate ganache.  Then I give each lady a mug of hot milk.  Each lady gets giddy as they scoop loads of chocolate and watches it melt into their milk - then shaves fresh nutmeg on top.  It was a Christmas feast - or fete I should say!  

No comments: