Thursday, March 4, 2010

Author's Tea

Michael's teacher had a darling event for his class today.  As the culminating event for their fairy tale unit (to learn how to write a long story) she had the Fairytale Author's Tea party.  Each child came to school dressed as their favorite character.  Michael was Desperaux - the brave, adventurous mouse from the novel he finished a couple weeks ago.  In the photo above he is modeling his ears I made for him!  

All the parents were invited to come to hear the students read their stories to a packed audience!  Michael's book was called "Squires First Fight". It was 6 pages long - he was very proud of his work.  Of course that will go in his keepsake-box.

What the kids didn't know, was that while they were at afternoon recess, Miss Laura and I were frantically setting up the classroom for the tea party.  The treats were all a surprise to them!  I made the food this morning while Scotty took apart my kitchen.  We had shortbread cookies, marshmallow tea cakes, buckets of strawberries and 2 kinds of tea sandwiches.  I found large silver doilies at the baking supply store for placemats - and even some fun plastic cups that looked like tea cups too!  We used all my serving pieces.  Miss Laura brought flowers for the tables and supplied the table cloths (I think someone needs to donate some new table cloths for the cause!).  It was so much fun - the children and parents loved it....but most importantly so did Michael!

No comments: