Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Backseat Conversation

While driving the car packed with Osborn boys, I get to listen to all sorts of conversations.  Most involve jokes about poop, searching for cool cars, or a fun plan for when they get home.  This was a conversation on the way to school this week:

J:  Michael, have you ever noticed the church by 'Bad Luck Hill' called the Adventure Church?
M:  Yah.
J:  Isn't that a strange name for a church - on Sunday you go to church to have an adventure?  Church should be about learning about Jesus.
M:  I have thought about that so many times!!

They continued to talk for 5 minutes.  They decided that kids under age 4 could expect to come to church to be entertained with projects, snacks, toys and fun.  But they really had a hard time with the idea of older kids, let alone adults wanting adventure at church. 

Michael pointed out that adventure sounded like too much excited behavior and his relationship with Heavenly Father on a Sunday does not include that mind-set.  He said that he thought adults especially should understand that their relationship with God should be more respectful.

I found it interesting that both boys feel that Sunday worship is not about being entertained, rather has an expected feeling and attitude of reverence.  I can see how this pattern of Sunday behavior is shaping their relationship with Heavenly Father tiny bits week by week. 

No comments: