Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New Reader



Jacob has caught the reading bug.  That something, whatever that is, has clicked in his brain and it all makes sense.  It is very exciting to him.  Often he is surprised by reading big words on signs, book titles, magazines...and then I hear that giggle of satisfaction.  He is currently PLOWING through the "Bob" box book series during our night time reading routine.  He is on box four - the green box.  Each night he asks if we can read 4 books.  One book takes us about 10-15 minutes - we are sticking to one book per night and sometimes a bonus book in the afternoon.  Finishing a box is the ultimate victory.  Opening a new box is like Christmas.  Michael is keeping a running list of all the books Jacob has read in his journal.  His excitement for his little brother's success helps keep the momentum running forward.


Yesterday in a book he read the word "drum".  He stopped short - confused, "I thought it was spelled, J-R-U-M".  I assured him that it was and always has been D-R-U-M.  "You mean I have been saying it wrong my WHOLE life?"  he wondered disappointingly.  Reading clears up so many misunderstandings.

No comments: