Peter always tells the boys that being brave is doing something that you are scared of doing - it isn't brave if you are already fearless, or know you can easily accomplish it. Well Michael was really brave today at church. He was the only child that came to his primary class out of 5 kids. When his teacher came and saw that she had only one child, she admitted that she was coming down with the flu and needed to go home. Michael was asked to join the class just older than his - which has a large number of children in it. Of course when the teachers asked, he obediently said yes. I was watching from the back of the primary room. Then music and sharing time began and the nerves set in - he could hardly sit still he was so agitated. Finally I motioned to him that he could come back and sit by me. When he did, his eyes were brimming with tears - not wanting to cry now that he is in Senior primary. We stepped into the hall and he quietly begged me not to make him go to that older class - I will be the youngest, we will have to look up scriptures and I am just learning how, they are sooooo big, couldn't I just go be with Dad? I assured him many times that he would be OK, that the teacher was wonderful and kind (a teacher in her 60's that has been with us in primary for 3 years now and loves these kids dearly), and that yes - he did have to go. I wrote him a tiny note telling him he could do it - and we stuck it in his shirt pocket. I told him he was older now, and that even though it was really scary - it was safe, and he just had to do it. When the classes were excused to leave, the teacher came up to us and with her arm around him off they went to class as he fought off big big tears.
After the 45 minutes was finished I met him outside the classroom. With a half smile he said, "It was even kind of fun". We hugged and went off to Sacrament meeting. It was so super hard for him - and he did it! We talked about it a bunch on the way home - the best part was how proud of himself he felt.
No comments:
Post a Comment