Thursday, June 9, 2011

Gardeners

My boys have been excited for our first summer project. Each has a flower bed that they call their own. Last year we never planted flowers, because I was too sick with my pregnancy with Colin. This year they have been waiting and waiting for school to end so we could spend a day gardening together.
After the baby napped, we drove to the local nursery. Storm clouds filled the sky, and the wind blew fiercely, but these boys were determined to get flowers into the ground. I let the 2 big boys each choose 2 flats of flowers for their flower beds. Scotty picked about 4 little flower starts.
At home I gave a brief planting lesson and off they went. Michael planted his garden totally by himself this year. Jacob and I worked on his together. Jacob also helped Scotty know what to do. All boys were very precis in their planning, developing patterns with their plants. The poor baby did not like being outside in the wind, but being number 4 sometimes means you get to just tag along.
Everyone is very proud of their work! Michael exclaimed, "This is serious mom. These are real gardens - they are not pretend." Each day they water their gardens and search for pesky weeds.

No comments: