Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dinner for Dessert

Last night was the Cub Scout Cake Auction, to raise money for Scout camp this summer for each boy. All afternoon I was cursing the Boy Scouts of America as I tried to squeeze in time to make a fabulous cake to sell at the auction. I just wanted to know why I couldn't just pay $20 to send my boy to camp and pass up the cake baking extravaganza. I am not sure where the pressure to perform came from - not wanting to let my son down with a really lame cake, OR not wanting to be personally embarrassed in front of all the other high-achieving-super-mom's with their amazing cakes. Probably both.

Well I resorted to my favorite cake version - cup cakes. Mikey and I decided that "funny" was better than "amazing". He chose the spaghetti and meatball cupcakes from a website Whitney showed me. In the end they turned out cute - and shockingly realistic. They got a fair price of $26 with multiple bidders. Whew. If only I knew the highest grossing 2 cakes were round with an action figure stuck on top. Those were the ones the kids were begging their dad's to bid for. Mine included. Note for next year.

No comments: