Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sick Day(s)

...but the quick-rise sticky bun recipe I found was the hit of the morning.
The pecan syrup was served separately for the nut-haters of the house.
Jacob votes these should be a Sunday morning ritual now that we have afternoon church.
He wants to learn how to bake them.

2 out of 4 currently have fevers today. Everyone in this house has been sick at some point during these past 2 weeks. Poor Colin has been coughing and congested for most of the month of January. After being sick with a fever, sore throat, cold and cough, Michael had an allergic reaction to a Mentholatum thing that goes in the shower. His skin on his face broke out into hives and some of those progressed to sores that looked like chicken pox. Let's just say he missed LOTS of school. It is just so much fun. This weekend was an especially sick one - Jacob and Scotty had high fevers, throwing up, the whole bit. After nursing so many sick-o's for so long, I admit I was getting a bit grumpy.

I was grateful for Peter's help all day today. He offered to take over for the day - obviously seeing I needed a bit of TLC. I slept thru the night. Woke up and cooked a big nice Sunday brunch for everyone. Showered and headed off to get a church calling (since now I go), and then went to 3 nice quiet hours of church all by myself. [sigh!] It was lovely. I came home and cooked a nice dinner. We picked up the house and the boys are in bed!

Peter on the other-hand is exhausted! Ha! We admit that, compared to most dads we know, he is generally a good consistent helper around the house and appreciative for what I do. But to spend an entire day, never leaving the house, taking care of this troop of sick grumpy children all day long while keeping things picked up and under control....well, that is an experience you just have to do yourself once in while to really understand. He is more tired than he has been in a long time, and I love him all the more for it.

No comments: