Monday, October 15, 2012

Tortoise Surprise

 My cousin Melissa and I planned a big surprise for Sunday morning!  She has rescued a large number of desert tortoises from a house in Las Vegas where she lives and is finding homes for them.  I quickly said we would take 2 [to Peter's disappointment].  The boys knew we were getting them sometime this year.  Michael even prepared an animated Keynote presentation for us all to teach us about tortoises for FHE one Monday night.  But none of them knew they were coming this Sunday!
 I told them that some ladies from church were stopping by to join us at breakfast.  They thought this sounded totally normal [and had never met my cousin before, so did not recognize her].  We put all the baby tortoises in a pot.  I pretended that I was serving breakfast and scooped a baby tortoise into each of their bowls.  They screamed!  It was so funny. 
 We had such a fun morning watching and playing with all the babies.  Each boy chose their pet [we ended up with 3!]
 Scotty held onto the same baby from the beginning.  It would rest its head on his hands and snuggle.  He's in love.
 Michael named his Chester Turtleton, Jacob's is Elmo, and Scotty's is Spike.  We have a tank in the homework room where they all live.  But mostly the boys hold them from the second they get home from school.
 She took all the others back with her to find more homes [Henry and Bentley each took one too later that day].  Peter is now completely won over.  They are just too darling and fun to watch.  They love to be held and the boys LOVE taking care of them. 


No comments: