Saturday, January 7, 2012

Whipped "Cream"

This Saturday morning the boys and woke up to snow!  It is about time.  Peter is in LA, interviewing for his internship year.  The interview went great.  We hope he doesn't get the position [we'd rather have him living with us next year, and placing at either of his 2 Utah sites].

What do we do when dad is gone for the weekend and it is freezing outside?  Cook yummy food.  For the big boys I made waffles with strawberry sauce and whipped cream.  Their most favorite breakfast. 
When I have the time, I love to try to make similar food for my allergy kids.  This was just the morning.  I made my usual Colin Pancake recipe.  Added fresh strawberry sauce.  All we needed was whipped cream.
I have heard of making non-dairy, soy-free, rice-free whipped cream with coconut milk.  Well I am here to report that it was the hit of the morning!!  First I let him touch the whipped topping - he likes to explore through touching everything.  This little baby was saying "ooooooo" and "mmmmm"  all through his meal - with his own for of course. 
Coconut Milk Whipped Cream

1.  Freeze one can of organic Coconut Milk for one hour
2.  Open the can without shaking it
3.  Scrape off the white solid cream on top
4.  In a bowl, whip the coconut cream with a hand mixer at high speed
5.  Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6.  Add 1/4 cup powdered sugar
7.  Whip for about 5 minutes
8.  Delicious!!

No comments: