Saturday, January 7, 2012

Colin's Pancakes

 For many months Colin ate Nutra [the baby "cereal" by Neocate] and fruit for breakfast.  Now he refuses it, requiring a new easy and filling breakfast.  Pancakes were the answer.  A little fruit with one or two pancakes and he is ready for the day.  I make a large Ziplock bag full of the dry mix at the beginning of the week.  Then all I have to do is add the wet ingredients in the morning.

Colin's Pancakes
Dry Mix:
2 cups sorghum flour
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup starch [corn, tapioca, or potato]
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthum gum
3/4 tsp. salt

Whisk these all together really well and store in an airtight container.

To make pancakes:
1 cup of the Dry Mix
1 egg
2 Tbs organic canola oil
1/3 cup almond milk - or add a bit more to your desired consistency [or any other non-dairy milk that works for you]

Mix all together in a small bowl.  I prefer to have it thick in consistency.  It is easier to flip the pancake for me.  Adding more milk to thin the batter is just fine too.  This batter will save in the fridge for about 2 days. 

I have a designated non-stick pan and metal spatula just for Colin's food.  I use a small All-Clad saute pan.  Heat the pan on the stove top with high heat.  Turn the heat down and then add the pancake batter without any oil on the pan.  Cook at lower heat than a regular pancake.  They burn easily!!  I burn them all the time when I turn my back to help another boy. 

Serve with pure maple syrup or homemade jam.  Yum!

No comments: