Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hot Bread

 Tonight my friend Lindsay is bringing over hot Wecca to go with dinner- a Christmas Scandinavian bread that is much like Challah but a lot larger and much tastier.  It is her secret family recipe of which we love being the recipient.  [...and I will eagerly drive up here to pick it up after we move South!].  I decided to try a yeast bread for Colin so that he too might have fresh, warm bread this evening.  A first time for everything.

Modified from a recipe I found on-line, I made Peach Vegan Gluten-free Bread.  I chose this because Colin LOVES peaches, but honestly the peaches don't add much to the bread.  I used peaches I canned last summer with my parents.  It would be just as good without them.  It is a bit dense, but not at all overly crumbly [which is always the battle I fight].  More importantly it tastes like yummy bread!  Hope he loves it.
Peach Vegan Gluten-free Bread

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup HOT water
1/2 cup almond milk
3 Tbsp dry active yeast
5 Tbsp granulated organic sugar
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
4 Tbsp organic canola oil
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1 1/2 cups tapioca flour
3 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp sea salt
1 cup fresh peaches, peeled and chopped  OR fresh canned peaches

DIRECTIONS:

Combine hot water, almond milk, yeast and sugar into a large mixing bowl and proof yeast until foamy. Once foamy, add vinegar and canola oil. Stir well.

In a separate bowl, mix together white rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum and sea salt. Combine with other ingredients just until well blended.  Fold in peaches.  Grease a 8 x4 inch loaf pan with palm oil shortening and dust with 1 teaspoon of almond flour.   Spoon dough into the loaf pan. Let rise about 1-1.5 hours in a warm place (until rising above the rim of the loaf pan).

Preheat oven to 350 °F  and bake bread for about 50 minutes, or until top of loaf is dark golden brown.  If the bread is browning too fast on top (depending on your oven) make a small foil tent to loosely place on top.


No comments: