Thursday, February 24, 2011

Laundry Day

Laundry for a family of 6 is an enormous chore, and my least favorite. By the end of today including sheets and towels I think I will have done 9 loads. It takes a long time. Our washer and drier are about 10 years old and less than efficient (but luckily I have 2 driers - there was one left in this house identical to the one we already had and so we kept it!). The thing about laundry is that as soon as I finish, there is more in the dirty baskets that same night. It never ends. Peter often helps me fold clothes at night - especially the year I was so sick. But I am feeling like it is my turn to reclaim the job. And so today was a laundry day.
After somewhat dreading today, when pausing mid-day I realized what a lovely day I was actually having with my babies here at home! Dressed in pink sweat pants (knowing I was never leaving the house - remember mom's pink sweats??), camped out downstairs we had a cozy day together. Surrounded by 6 lines of sorted piles of folded clothes we alternately:

-watched Baby Einstein movies (selected by Scotty),
-sang songs for the baby (loud renditions of "I had a dog and the dog pleased me...."),
-hide and seek,
-played catch with a glitter ball,
-played with the iPod,
-listened to music off the computer ("Sing...Sing a Song!"),
-ate lunch,
-watched the clothes swish in the washer,
-learned how to read "spin",
-changed diapers,
-fed bottles, and
-Scotty's most favorite: sliding down the slide into warm piles of laundry!

Not so bad.


No comments: