
For these past 4 days I have been making you pancakes with cow-milk. And you are fine. Not only are you fine, but you love them! Pancakes made with whole milk and butter taste delicious. You are eating them for breakfast, lunch and dinner - and can hardly get enough. You are eating them with strawberries, bananas, syrup, jam - any topping we can find. We are conducting a 4 day test to see if your body is ready for cooked milk protein - and it probably is. This is a real miracle. I can hardly believe this day is here. Your little body has come so far and healed so much.
We saw your specialist doctor last week for your annual check-up. I told her that I thought it was time to try the milk challenge, and she taught me how to do it. When we came home that afternoon and I made your first batch of pancakes, it made me sick to my stomach to feed them to you. I have devoted so many years to keeping this little body of yours healthy. Putting the milk in your body (even though I knew it was time) was almost too much for me to handle! I put the baby to bed for a nap and then we took a big stack of books to my bed and read stories together until we needed to pick the boys up from school. We sang "Over in the Meadow" 3 times through. You have loved this book since you were a tiny 2 year old. You know each part to sing. We then read "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble". You screamed with excitement when you realized Sylvester's mother laid the red magic pebble on his stone back - knowing he could turn back into a donkey. I loved this calm afternoon with you.
We might be coming to the end of all of this. Maybe someday you won't even remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment