Monday, November 7, 2011

Zero Gain

Colin had his 1 yr. well check this week.   Developmentally this cute guy is right on track.  I am always grateful that there have been no developmental delays due to nutritional deficiencies in either of the 2 FPIES boys.  Unfortunately we discovered that in the past 3 months, he has gained no weight at all.  As Dr. Havlik pointed out, "Clearly he is a tank, but..." BUT - this means he most likely is having a calorie absorption problem.

With Scotty we were counting calories for years - making sure that each day that enough calories went in his tiny body.  Colin's chunky body has been camouflaging this issue.  So what do we do?  Not sure for now.  In the mean time Peter will keep giving him his middle of the night bottles.  I won't find another babysitter - we can't risk him boycotting bottles for a new face.  But all this OK.  Having watched the whole process with Scotty, I have such a different perspective.  We can and will, do everything and anything to get thru these next 3 or 4 years.  It pays off!  A healthy child is the goal.

No comments: