Sunday, November 13, 2011

Morning Muffins

 Delicious baking success!  This blueberry muffin is gluten-free, rice-free, dairy-free and all organic.  If that wasn't good enough, it is delicious.  We are currently trialing almonds (I guess we are on a trial roll right now - fingers and toes crossed!).  This muffin uses almond flour, which adds a particularly yummy flavor combined with the brown sugar.  A good recipe for the whole family - they do not taste strange at all.
 Colin was a bit apprehensive at first.  The muffin was warm - right out of the oven.  3 bites later, and I could not feed it to him fast enough.  He ate the whole thing!
Recipe adapted from one by the Gluten-Free Goddess blog.  A great resource for baking!

Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffin Recipe with Almond Flour

I used Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour in this new muffin recipe. Finely ground almonds create a delicate, soft gluten-free flour that is light and subtly sweet. [Actually I used Bob's Red Mill products for all the flours and xanthan gum].

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.

Whisk together:
1 1/3 cups almond meal
1 cup sorghum
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

Beat in:
1 1/3 cups organic brown sugar [I used dark.  Light would be great too]
3 tablespoons organic canola oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup warm water, more as needed, up to 3/4 cup

Beat the batter until it is smooth, like a slightly thickened cake batter.

Add in:
1 pint fresh or frozen organic blueberries [I prefer using frozen in muffins]

Scoop the blueberry muffin batter into the twelve lined cups.

Bake in the center of a preheated oven for 23 to 25 minutes, until golden and firm to the touch. A wooden pick inserted into the center should emerge clean.

Cool the muffin pan on a wire rack for five minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and finish cooling on a rack.

Wrap and freeze cooled muffins for future breakfast treats.



No comments: