Monday, August 22, 2011

First Muffin

Today I invented a muffin for Colin!  Actually I tried 2 different versions - the first was a total failure - burned on the top, sunken in the middle, not cooked thru.  Gross.  But, these ones are delicious, if a bit sweet.  In it we are trialing coconut milk as a baking liquid.  This was my saving grace with Scotty, and I am keeping all fingers and toes crossed that it works for Colin.  The photo is from my phone - yuck - but the muffins are delicious!  Colin ate half of one with a big smile on his face.  Scotty helped himself to 2. 

Corn Flour Muffin (egg free / dairy free / gluten free)

2 cups corn flour (Bob's Red Mill)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar 
2 packages squeezable organic applesauce (not sure how much it was!)
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup canola oil

note:  all of these measurements are approximate...I was inventing as I went along.

1.  Preheat oven to 325.  Line muffin pan with paper liners.
2.  Combine the dry ingredients in bowl of standing mixer.
3.  Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl until oil is incorporated completely (or add oil slowly while mixing).  Slowly add to dry while the mixer is running.  Mix very well.
4.  Scoop batter into muffin tin.
5.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.


No comments: