Monday, November 12, 2012

Birthday Pie



Last night we had all my brothers and Andy Landau over for a Sunday dinner.  A belated birthday celebration for Peter with the whole crew.  For dessert I made pies - Banana Cream and Key Lime.  Making pies might be one of my most favorite activities.  I love perfecting a crust, deciding on fillings and tasting the final creation.  [it reminds me of my winter pie project 3 years ago with 5 year old Jacob].

 I made pies because I wanted to try out a new crust recipe before Thanksgiving.  After listening to Christopher Kimball on NPR this week [the genius behind Cook's Illustrated and their Test Kitchen], I was reminded how much of cooking involves understanding the science behind ingredients.  His kitchen aims to test all the conventional recipes and then teach cooks how to cook each dish correctly for optimal results.  And while I love the creative aspect of cooking, he reminded us that creativity in the kitchen is only successful when we understand technique.  The nerdy side of me eats this up!  The Test Kitchen has many pie crust recipes - but after reading many, I went for one called "Foolproof Pie Dough".  The experiment was a success.  Probably the best flakey and flavorful pie crust to ever come out of this kitchen.  Fun! 

2 comments:

ellen said...

Send recipes!

ellen said...

Me again. I have a card to send you. Can you email me your new address (patton_ellen@hotmail.com).