Sunday, July 18, 2010

Too Hot


Yesterday I walked down to our friends' home to pick up Michael. He was going to be brought home later by the dad, but I just felt like I should go get him. It was 100 degrees yesterday, and the kids were playing soccer outside for quite a while. I brought his scooter with me. He rode his scooter home ahead of me, sat in the shade of a tree and didn't want to get up. I brought him down to our cold basement, gave him some Gatorade...and thus began many hours of a very sick Michael. I tried cooling his hot body in a cool bath after one throwing up episode. He was not doing well. By 8 o'clock at night we knew he needed to get to the hospital. He was throwing up all liquid, popsicles and toast. Brave Michael ended up getting an IV last night for heat exhaustion and severe dehydration. It took 3 tries to get a vein, he was so dehydrated! This is something we know about in this house. He got home close to midnight with Peter. He asked to say a prayer before he went to bed, to thank Heavenly Father for the doctor's help and that he was OK. He still is not doing great this morning. I am finding lots of movies to watch for him as he slowly sips away on some watered-down Gatorade. It is a bit scary how fast a healthy child can be in serious danger.

No comments: